Earmuffs are device that is worn over the head, like headphones. It is used to protect one’s ears from noise pollution, dust, or from cold. They are also called as Personal Protective Equipment(PPE). They look like 2 cups at the end of a headband. The headband is generally made up of plastic or steel.
Earmuffs are of 2 types -thermal and acoustic earmuffs. Thermal earmuffs are used to protect against cold. And the acoustic earmuffs are used against noise pollution. High levels of environmental noise is harmful for people working in a noisy area. Noise causes mental stress, sleeplessness, etc. Earmuffs are used to protect the ears from environmental noises produced by machines, transports, equipment, and nature.
Best Ear Muffs in 2020
Guide to buy the best earmuffs
Earmuffs are needed to be selected very carefully. If you do not choose the right one, you will have to be ready for the damage done. So, here are some guidelines to buy the best ones.
1) Usage: You should be very clear about its usage i.e. where you are going to use it. If you are going to use in winter then you should opt for thermal ones. If you want to avoid noise pollution then you should go with the acoustic earmuffs.
2) Hearing Problems: If you have hearing impairment then you should be more careful while buying a one. Because if you want and buy a one which is not suitable for you then it may cause more damage to you.
3) Noise Levels: After deciding where to use, you should look for noise levels in the environment. For example, if you are using on construction sites then the noise level is up to 85dB or for gun earmuffs they should be 20dB.
4) Price: You must acquire a good idea of the price range. That will help you to fix your budget. Price also tells a lot about an ear muff’s quality.
Some of the Best Earmuffs are:
|Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff||4.7|
|Caldwell Low Profile E-Max Electronic Ear Muffs||4.5|
|3M Peltor X-Series Over the Head Earmuffs||4.7|
|Decibel Defense Ear-Protecting Earmuffs||4.8|
|Pro For Sho Maximum Hearing Protection||4.8|
1. Howard Leight Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff
1. Super soft comfortable ear cushions for all-day wearing.
2. Automatically shut down, increases battery life.
4. AUX jack connects to MP3 player.
5. Convenient folding design for easy storage.
6. Adjust the headband for safe wearing.
7. Amplifies of low sounds up to 4 times.
It amplifies the environmental noise such as machines, warning signals, etc. to safe levels. It has a Noise Reduction Rate of 22 in both on or off mode. These best earmuffs feature two very comfortable ear cups that adjust perfectly over the ears. The design is very comfortable as you can easily fold it and carry it in your pocket. The best thing about it is that it continuously makes reviews of the environment and stops the amplification process once it is reached to 82dB.
|Easy to remove and carry.||The batteries have to be periodically replaced.|
|Approximate 350 hours of battery.||Can cause the user to sweat if used for a longer time|
|Great noise reduction rating.|
|Air flow control technology|
2. Caldwell Low Profile E-Max Electronic Ear Muffs
1. Two microphones with real stereo sound.
2. 3.5mm jack which can be connected to any device.
3. Electronic earmuffs that protect or amplify sound based on the decibel level.
4. Padded adjustable headband with a volume control knob.
5. Compact fit design, which can be folded and packed in a small bag.
6. Shuts off for a split-second for sounds above 85 decibels to protect hearing.
This earmuff is ideal for a shotgun shooter and action shooters. It has two microphones embedded which amplifies sound below 85dB and amplifies normal communications, range commands, and environmental sounds. It blocks the noise that is above 85dB to protect your ears. These earmuffs can easily be connected to any device, such as your smartphone, your iPod of your MP3 player. The earmuffs can be easily folded and can carry anywhere in your bag.
|Long battery life.||Requires AAA batteries which are not embedded in it.|
|High quality insulation protects your hearing.|
|Easy to remove and carry.|
|2-cup headset with a microphone in each cup.|
3. 3M Peltor X-Series Over the Head Earmuffs
1. Dual molded cups that provide superior noise protection.
2. Headband with an electrically insulated wire.
3. Noise reduction of 31 dB.
4. One size fits all.
5. Headband traditional style that goes over the head.
6. Replaceable ear cushions and foam liners.
It is all in one best earmuff with comfort design and protection. This earmuff comes with the highest NRR (31dB), which makes them ideal for a very noisy environment. It has an electrically insulated wire headband, often referred to as dielectric. Ear cups endpoints are a bit tilted at the end to provide more comfort and efficiency. This ultra-slim hearing protection product helps reduce exposure to hazardous levels of noise and loud sounds.
|Lightweight.||Bulky construction, so they may take a lot of space.|
|Soft replaceable cushions||Since they’re light, they may not be as strong.|
|You can safely use when the external noise goes over 100 dB.|
|Modern and attractive design.|
4. Decibel Defense Ear-Protecting Earmuffs
1. Heavily padded headband.
2. Fits with a wide range of head size.
3. Comes in a range of colors.
4. Can be folded and are lightweight.
5. Quietest and most comfortable.
6. Can reduce noise from 34 to 37db.
This is are the most affordable and simple earmuffs. These earmuffs are very stylish and very powerful. They have Noise Reduction rating of 37 dB. This earmuff is highly multifunctional. You can use them while shooting, on a construction site, or in a machine shop. It has smooth, padded cell headband with fabric stitching which keeps them long-lasting comfort and durability. It has anti-slip technology which prevents it from slipping.
|Attractive design and comes with Double-D guarantee i.e. money back.||Not suitable for people wearing glasses.|
|Comfortable to wear for long time.||Does not have jack for MP3 player.|
|Easily cleaned due to waterproof matter covering.|
|Sound protection is very good.|
5. Pro For Sho Maximum Hearing Protection
1. Comfortable and easy to clean pads.
2. Made of solid and scratch-resistant proof plastic.
3. Daily maintenance is easy.
4. Available in many colors.
6. 34dB NRR protection.
If you are looking for something light to keep you on the shooting grounds, then these are the best ear muffs for you. These earmuffs are made up of high-quality material and specifically redesigned to overcome the shortcomings of the conventional earmuffs. They offer about 34dB noise reduction rating. They are lightweight, with a compact design which can be easily carried. They are perfect for prolonged wearing without any irritation or bulk. It is heavily padded for more comfort.
|High sound protection||Too tight for long heads.|
|Ultra portable and lightweight.|
|Easy to remove and carry.|
|Ideal for shooting, working and operating machinery to protect hearing.|
Earmuffs are your best bet when it comes to beating hearing loss. So, it is very necessary for you to choose the right one or it would cause you more problems. While buying a one you should always look for its comfort and the reduction of noise levels while using it.
Another important thing is where you are going to use them and then buy according to it. So, select the best earmuffs by considering these points.